Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Babes in the Woods. . .

In my last post I featured some cute vintage strawberry glasses that I recently purchased at an Antiques Mall.

IMG_6552

On the bottom left side of each glass is has this:

IMG_6553

I wondered if the initials T. S. stood for too sweet.

Only after one of my cute bloggy friends, Julie Marie from Idyll Hours told a sweet story of what she imagined the initials stood for did thoughts of a childhood song come rushing to my mind.  Her story can be read on my comments on the previous post.  It has a much happier ending than mine.

My mom use to sing this song to us girls.  Warning:  this could cause tears to roll down your cheeks.

                     Babes in the Woods

Poor babes in the woods went strolling one day.

Got lost in the woods, so some people say.

Got lost in the woods and laid down and died.

Poor Babes in the woods!  Poor Babes in the woods!

And while they were dead the Robins so red,

brought strawberry leaves and over them spread.

And all the day long, they sang a sweet song;

Poor babes in the woods!  Poor babes in the Woods!

bluebell-woods

Mom said that after she would sing it we would bawl and with tears running down our cheeks say, “sing it again, sing it again”.

Now, I must admit, I sang this song , as terrible as it may seem, to my own children.  I have also sang it to my grandchildren.  Mostly when they are infants and a bit fussy.  I put my mouth to their ear and sing it ever so softly.  Seems to work every time.  Who knows, maybe they are traumatized and don’t dare cry. lol!

Not only do I sing it for children, but one of my friends hubby always asks me to sing it.  For some reason people just want to hear this song.  No matter how sad it may be.  Honest, if you heard me sing you would know it’s no treat.  The words are captivating and you want to hear it over and over again.  Even if it makes you cry.

We are not sure where the origin of the song came from.  My sister, julie’s step daughter found a book titled ‘Babes in the Woods” and bought it for her. The book tells the same sad story as the song.  Now we know that this is a true song and not just something our mother made up.

I’ve decided that the T & S on the glasses stands for TOO SAD!  Everytime I look at or use these glasses I will think of those Poor Babes!

IMG_6553

Have any of you heard this sad song before?

Hugs,

Jann

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar