The first holiday book I owned was given to me at Christmas when I was nine. It was a tiny un-illustrated book of Dicken's A Christmas Carol, which I still have. But today I'm sharing a handful of other long time favorites, beginning with Winter's Gift, by Jane Monroe Donovan.
It's a melancholy tale of an old man who has recently lost his wife and the joy of the season until a fateful encounter on Christmas eve. I love the snowy illustrations and the farmhouse setting.
The story has a bit more depth then the conventional fare for kids, and has universal appeal.
Everything about it is sumptuous with it's slant toward Christmas, which of course is not found in the text: "Whose woods these are I think I know/ His house is in the village, though/ He will not see me stopping here/ To watch his woods fill up with snow..."
"...The woods are lovely, dark and deep./ But I have promises to keep/ And miles to go before I sleep."
Picture books are one way to have a white Christmas!
Another volume in The Foxwood Tales (sorry, out of print!) is the Foxwood Surprise, by the Patersons.
Beauty, beauty everywhere!
The British are perfection in their animal tales!
Finally, we come to Brambly Hedge, Winter Story, by another Brit, the enchantress, Jill Barklem (out of print).
My own rabbity-roomed house reflects the character of the little mouse rooms of her books.
I own this fireplace, these chairs, the overhead beams. My mate brings me dinner just like this every night (I think I am living in Brambly Hedge).
This is my sideboard...
And the kitchen I would have if I could!
Wishing you a cozy season with lots of pretty books for company!
Thanks for stopping by!
Ciao! for now!
Jacqueline
Linked to Food For Thought for the Holiday Books party.
The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
0 Yorumlar