Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

February


This very wet painting by B W Leader is so
'February-ish'. (I know that isn't a word)
Painted in 1881, it was exhibited at the Royal Academy and was not popular.
I wonder if people found it depressingly wet, rainy and with no hint that there might be Spring, sometime?



Its title is 'February Fill-Dyke', which is taken from an old country rhyme.
Dykes are something that we don't have in our West Country, being deep ditches dug to protect higher ground. I guess Offa's Dyke is the most famous example, an eighty mile earthwork between England and Wales.

February makes me feel there is hope for a new season. Crocus, pansies, snowdrops and daffodils are all popping up in the garden. A cream Hellebore has woken up. A sprig of Japonica is putting forth its cheerful flowers. Primroses are appearing in the hedgerows.

 I know we have had many rain filled days this month, with apparently worse to come.....but things must improve, soon?

But just to prove that we do have snow in Cornwall, here is a photo from last week.
Compared to some of the snowy posts from USA this is a bit feeble....but it's snow all the same!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar