Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Attic Treasures, Martha Washington & Me at 33

Our DIL, Kristi, is cleaning out our attic.  Yes, she's amazing.  And she has been bringing down things she's found as she clears it out.  And she goes..what do you want to do with THIS?  :-)  This plate below is a treasure of mine that I had no idea was up there.  I made this on my potters wheel and fired it in my kiln, mixed the glazes and painted it with oxides in my pottery studio at our last house.  I'm so happy to have this back!  She just brought down a wonderful wooden child's loom.  Yesterday she found a box of red glass wine glasses and porcelain teacups and some other things.  More on those things later.. this is a fast post as I have to head off for a meeting and swimming soon.


At our DAR meeting on Monday we had a program by this wonderful woman portraying Martha Washington.  OMGoodness.. she was fantastic!  Did you know she was married to another man first, had 4 children, then widowed at the age of 26 and inherited her husband's plantation and became the wealthiest woman in Virginia.  She met and married George Washington and then moved to his plantation of Mt. Vernon.  They never had children of their own.  She loved him dearly.  More history is located HERE.


Those that are putting together a book of Vista House history asked for photos of the time when I first was hired as the executive director for the Friends of Vista House. I found this one of me in 1982 when I set up my office in the basement and set about organizing the cleaning and painting of the interior of the building.  I was just 33.  I devoted my heart and soul to bringing the building back to a thriving place for all to enjoy over the next 15 years.  :-)


Today school kids across America are staging a "walk out" of school to protest school shootings.  I'm so proud of them!  Something needs to be done!  We need to listen to them!  I'm very proud of the adults who are supporting these kids.  I certainly do.  

I hope you're having a wonderful week.  What's new with you?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar